Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Soft Play Centres in East Herts: Dos and Don'ts



Soft play centres - the Mecca for all parents on rainy days and particularly during the colder months.

They’re great for meeting other parents and their children - and even better as somewhere to take the kids when you need to ‘get the hell out of the house’ once you’ve had your fill of picking bits of Play-Dough out of the carpet and wiped the walls clean of finger paint before husband comes home.

We’ve got a number of soft play centres around the area, most of which I’ve visited with my son, since he was able to sit up. Here are my top rules for negotiating these places that I both love and hate - plus a guide to my favourite centres in East Herts.

1. Do be prepared for the other children. I adore my son, my niece and (most of) Charlie’s friends. I’m not so keen on any other children in general, much less so when they’re running around, totally off their nuts on Fruit Shoots. To be fair, my son can be as boisterous and mischievous as the next. But he’s MY son, and I do keep an eye on him – and under control/off the Fruit Shoots, as best I can (usually the time-honoured threat of “wait till your father gets home” when he’s playing up).
And with that in mind…

2. Don’t think you can just sit around drinking coffee and chatting to your mates/updating your Facebook status.
Unfortunately (because I would dearly love to do all of the above), you do need to keep an eye on younger kids, particularly at some of the bigger play centres. I know I’m a bit of a ‘helicopter mum’ (constantly hovering around Charlie), but while the play areas may be soft, some of them have very high climbing areas and slides. So…

3. Do choose a soft play centre that best suits your child’s age. In my experience/opinion, for babies and toddlers you can’t go wrong with Scrambles at the John Warner Sports Centre in Hoddesdon, and the Rye-Assic Adventure Park, also in Hoddesdon.

Both are smaller centres, so you can keep your eyes on the little ones easier. Also, the climbing areas aren’t as high, so you tend to get fewer older children there (although the latter has a whole load of other activities elsewhere for bigger kids). And speaking of which…

4. Don’t let your older children into the baby/toddler areas. This was a big bug-bear of mine when Charlie was little: the ‘bigger boys’ leaping around near the tiny ones.

5. Do remember to wear decent socks. On my first visit to a soft play centre, I (ignorantly) hadn’t considered that I’d need to have my shoes off the whole/hole time – and had to deal with the fact that I’d borrowed a pair of my husband’s old and very tired fishing socks. Hardly Yummy Mummy material…

6. And finally, don’t worry about the germs. I have a friend who has a fear of the ball pit and winces every time her daughter jumps in and covers herself with them. Yes, we spent months disinfecting everything when our little ones were babies, but my view is that rolling around where other kids have licked/bitten the plastic balls helps the old immunity system. Just don’t kiss your kids when they come out.

Now you’re ready to step, nicely-socked foot into the world of soft play, here are our top recommendations in East Herts…

Rye-Assic Adventure Park, Hoddesdon
Easily our favourite. It’s got a great soft play centre that I’d say is most suited to younger children (the climbing area isn’t too high), an amazing baby/toddler space, a creative area featuring LEGO, etc and a fantastic café. Best coffee by miles. In addition, outside there are lifestyle models of dinosaurs, a bouncy castle, trampolines, a playground and more. Fabulous value for money.

Scrambles, John Warner Sports Centre, Hoddesdon
It’s not as big as some of the others, but it means it doesn’t get as busy either. The climbing area isn’t too high, so not so many older children. The coffee is good. The food is good if you want to stay for tea (lots of healthy options available, given that it’s a sports centre). And a big plus for me is that there aren’t coin slot ride-ons in the area. If I’ve paid for soft play, I don’t want to witness a tantrum cos I won’t fork out another 50p for a go on the Bob The Builder truck.

Woody’s Play Barn, Westmill Farm, Ware
This is suitable for all ages, but it is pretty big, so be prepared to be running up ladders and whizzing down slides if you’re child is under five. But this place will certainly wear off your kids’ energy (yours too). There are also two private hire rooms where you can hold kids’ parties.

Adventure Castle, Hoddesdon
This has everything for all age groups. It’s pretty big so again, you’ll be following your child around if they’re young. But who cares when you get to go down the slides too?! Big café area, too. And at Christmas they have a brilliant Santa’s Grotto.

Have fun!

Lisa


No comments:

Post a Comment