Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Knebworth House Dinosaur Trail: Monster Fun For Everyone



I don't know what it is about young boys and dinosaurs, but the day that my three year old came back from nursery and started talking about this amazing Tyrannosaurs Rex he'd heard about reminded me of my own dinosaur fascination when I was a young boy, too.

In fact, it prompted me to look in the box of 'stuff' at my parents house (the one that they keep threatening to throw away but I keep moving to different locations) and find my own model dinosaurs to pass down to him. The Chinese company that created the replica Brontosaurus, Stegosaurs and T- Rex hiding in most middle-aged blokes' boxes of 'stuff' must have made a fortune back in the 1970's. 

Nowadays, there's enough dinosaur cartoon action to keep my five year old glued to the TV for hours, not counting the various dinosaur cartoon books, dinosaur t-shirts, bags, pencils, hats... I even had to make up a dinosaur song to sing him to sleep (okay, I borrowed heavily from the melody of twinkle twinkle, but he hasn't figured that out yet).

If, like me, you're in the middle of your own child's dinosaur fantasy world, Knebworth House is a place that you should consider taking your son or daughter that I guarantee will keep them occupied for hours and hours. Apart from the beautiful gothic house itself and stunning 17th century gardens (including a great maze!) the dinosaur trail set in the Wilderness Garden is fantastic fun, with 72 life-sized dinosaurs set amongst the shrubbery, each with its Latin name, description and other useful information. There's even a caveman wall (huge blackboard) complete with coloured chalks for children to indulge in their own cave paintings. The gift shop also supplies a dinosaur trail quiz to keep children occupied during their visit, with special promotions and activities throughout the year such as an Easter Egg hunt, pumpkin trail and treats and lunch with Santa to delight children of all ages.

And, if the children have any energy left after running around the dinosaur trail, pop across to the Fort Knebworth Adventure Playground, with its own swings, slides and bouncy castle.

Tickets cost £9 per adult and child, with children under four granted free admission.




No comments:

Post a Comment